MEDIA LITERACY 101: III. Five Things Everyone Should Know About Media
- All media messages are constructions
- Each person interprets messages differently
- Media have commercial interests
- Media have values
- Each medium has its own language and style
- Become active and critical thinkers about media
- Develop criteria for making decisions about media use
- Find and identify quality media resources
- Talk about what media they are consuming and why
- Become better able to use media for learning and communicating.
Related Tools & Resources
Five Important Things to Remember About Media Literacy
An online primer for parents and teachers on the key concepts of media literacy.
The new definition of media literacy now includes the ability to access, understand, analyze, evaluate and create media messages.
There are no neutral or value-free media messages.
Why Media Literacy is Vital in Today's World