Media: Between the Lines - 5 Facts About Advertising
Use this video as a prompt for classroom discussion!
Ads have power. Advertisers use images, words and music to persuade you to feel a certain way or perform a specific action. This video explains five key facts about how ads are constructed to help you understand how to critically evaluate advertisements.
Here are several resources that provide examples of the advertising techniques discussed in the video, 5 Facts about Advertising, and the Lesson Materials & Activities.
General Print and Video Adverting Samples:
- Ad Forum (includes foreign work) http://www.adforum.com/
- SplendAd http://www.splendad.com/
- Living Room Candidate http://www.livingroomcandidate.org/
- Duke University http://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/adviews/
- Moving Image Archive http://archive.org/details/movies
Specific examples of the advertising techniques discussed in the video, 5 Facts about Advertising:
- Coca-Cola http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTKswo3WwVA
- iPhone 3G http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7mC5GXLl_E
- Proactiv - Katie Perry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB2x2M5SC1Y
- Gatorade - Michael Jordan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0AGiq9j_Ak
- USMC - America’s Marines https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9y-FyDaSzU
- American Express - Small Business Saturday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejZUvxmtRK0
- Dr Pepper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ohO39ZtAnk
- Asus: Individuality Matters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmUhY80Vuqc
- Trident Gum - Dentists https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8OinQfUa6Y
- Claritin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOAHSzWtHXA
Please Note: Some of these examples are YouTube videos. They may contain ads you might not want your students viewing; please use your discretion. Depending on the broadband connection in your classroom and your school’s filtering policy, you may need to download the video to play in your classroom.